Fredrik Kahl, Main Page
Computer Vision Group, Department of
Electrical Engineering, Chalmers.
Program Management Group of WASP-AI.
Operational Team of CHAIR, Chalmers AI research centre.
NEWS: Area Chair for the Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, Nashville, Tennessee, June 2021.
NEWS: Our joint efforts to create large-scale visual localization benchmarks have resulted in a new article, Long-Term Visual Localization Revisited, Toft et al, to appear in PAMI 2021.
NEWS: My PhD student Carl Toft will defend his PhD thesis on January 22, 2021 at 3.00 pm. It will be online, so it is easy to join. Faculty opponent will be Dr. Vladlen Koltun, Intel. Stay tuned.
Interested in the visual localization problem? We have launched a new benchmark site: Visual Localization.
Interested in my mathematical ancestors and descendants? You can find them here at the Mathematics Genealogy Project.
My Erdös number is 4 via the path: Fredrik Kahl - Gunnar Sparr - Jaak Peetre - Svante Janson - Paul Erdös.
Article in Swedish: Han skapar framtidens artificiella radiologer in Elektroniktidningen.
Article in Swedish: Snart kan AI förhindra hjärtinfarkt, Göteborgs-Posten and Algoritmen varnar innan hjärtinfarkten är ett faktum in forskning.se with my PhD student Jennifer Alvén.
We are featured in Sydsvenskan!
Want to scan yourself? Read our paper
CopyMe3D: Scanning and printing persons in 3D.
Meet my PhD Students:
Former PhD students:
- Georg Bökman, Computer Vision Group, Chalmers University of Technology (co-supervised with Christopher Zach)
- Fredrik Hellström, Communication Systems Group, Chalmers University of Technology (co-supervised with Giuseppe Durisi)
- José Pedro Lopes Iglesias, Computer Vision Group, Chalmers University of Technology (co-supervised with Carl Olsson)
- Lucas Brynte, Computer Vision Group, Chalmers University of Technology
- Carl Toft, Computer Vision Group, Chalmers University of Technology
- Måns Larsson, PhD 2020, Eigenvision AB.
- Jennifer Alvén, PhD 2020, postdoc at Gothenburg University.
- Viktor Larsson, PhD 2018, postdoc at ETH Zurich.
- Erik Bylow, PhD 2018, Volumental AB, Stockholm.
- Johan Fredriksson, PhD 2016, Apple Inc.
- Matilda Landgren, PhD 2016, Cross Technology Solutions AB.
- Fangyuan Jiang, PhD 2015, now at the self-driving car company AutoX Inc in San Jose, California.
- Linus Svärm, PhD 2015, Vårdinnovation AB.
- Johannes Ulén, PhD 2014, Eigenvision AB in Malmö.
- Yubin Kuang, PhD 2014, co-founder of Mapillary, acquired by Facebook.
- Petter Strandmark, PhD 2013, Vårdinnovation AB.
- Olof Enqvist, PhD 2011, CEO and co-founder of Eigenvision AB.
- Martin Byröd, PhD 2010, now at Apple Inc (formerly C3 Technologies AB which was acquired by Apple).
- Klas Josephson, PhD 2010, Spiideo AB in Lund.
- Carl Olsson, PhD 2009, Associate Professor, Lund University and Chalmers University of Technology.
- Jan-Erik Solem, PhD 2006, CEO and co-founder of Mapillary, which was acquired by Facebook.
- Nicolas Guilbert, CEO and founder of Ange Optimization Aps.
The Computer Vision Group organized the Swedish Symposium on Image Analysis, March 19-20, 2019 in Göteborg.
Organiser of the first Swedish Symposium on Deep Learning (SSDL), June 20-21, 2017. Location: KTH, Stockholm.
Tutorial in Salt Lake City at CVPR 2018 on Optimisation in Multiple View Geometry: The L-infinity Way. Tutors: Tat-Jun Chin, Anders Eriksson and Fredrik Kahl.
VR-project on the integration of geometry and semantics in computer vision, 2017-2020, funded by the Swedish Research Council. This is a basic research project with the aim of developing new mathematical methods and theory for computer vision applications, including medical imaging problems.
I am the main PI for the SSF project Semantic Mapping and Visual Navigation for Smart Robots which is a collaboration between computer vision, automatic control, machine learning and mathematics. Budget: 31.1 MSEK during 2016-2021. Funded by Swedish Foundation for Strategic Research.
Summer School in Convex and Discrete Optimization on the island of Als, Denmark. Tutors: Fredrik Kahl and Richard Hartley, August 2015.
Tutorial in Zurich at ECCV'14 on Robust Optimization Techniques in Computer Vision successfully completed with more than 150 registered participants. Tutors: Olof Enqvist, Fredrik Kahl and Richard Hartley.
I was on the Editorial Board of Journal of Mathematical Imaging and Vision, 2014-2018.
Recent Area Chair assignments: ICCV 2013, CVPR 2014, ECCV 2014, BMVC 2015, ECCV 2016, ICCV 2017, ECCV 2018, ICCV 2019, CVPR 2020, ECCV 2020.
ERC-project GlobalVision, 2008-2013. Starting Independent Research Grant, funded by the European Research Council. Read more about it in Svenska Dagbladet.
Mathematical Methods in Computer Vision, 2008-2014. A project in the programme Future Research Leaders, funded by the Swedish Foundation for Strategic Research. Read the feature article (Swedish only) on one of the participants.
I was general chair for Energy Minimization Methods in Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, Lund, Sweden, 19-21 August, 2013.
Discrete Optimization. A PhD course in mathematics, given spring 2011.
Optimization in Computer Vision. A one week PhD School, 19-23 May 2008 in Copenhagen, Denmark. Co-organized with Henrik Aanaes, DTU. Lectures include Prof. Richard Hartley, Phil Torr and Lieven Vanderberge.
If you are interested in Master Thesis projects in mathematics, computer vision or medical imaging, contact me.
Want to see research in the making? .
Jan-Erik Solem's and my patent which was acquired by Apple reaches the news tabloids!